Komen Great Plains response to COVID-19
As a health organization, our top priority is and always has been focused on the well-being of our supporters and community. Even with evolving public health challenges caused by COVID-19, we continue that commitment.
We want to share a few updates on the actions we’re taking and some helpful resources for you:
- If you or anyone you know needs a free mammogram, a connection to breast cancer resources, information on breast health and early detection, assistance finding treatment, or other forms of support, please call us at 402-502-2979. Our team will work diligently to connect people to resources and get the help needed.
- For those undergoing breast cancer treatment, we encourage you to follow CDC guidelines to protect your health and, if you haven’t done so already, stay in touch with your health care provider regarding upcoming appointments. The National Cancer Institute also has information and resources for those undergoing cancer treatment.
- Supporters can offer assistance to someone they know in their community undergoing cancer treatment by bringing groceries or running errands so patients can avoid exposure to large groups, as suggested by the CDC.
- Routine screenings. Healthy women of average risk may want to consider delaying routine breast cancer screening to minimize exposure to COVID-19 and support the health care system’s need to manage resources during the pandemic. This does not apply to those displaying warning signs for breast cancer, so if you have any doubts, we encourage you to contact your healthcare professional. Learn more
- April and May events have been canceled or postponed, and the latest updates are available below.
As of Thursday, March 19, Komen Great Plains’ staff will operate remotely and be available via email and phone during regular business hours (8 am – 5 pm) Monday-Friday. We anticipate our offices in Omaha and Sioux Falls will be closed through April 1; however, we will continue to monitor the situation and comply with CDC and local health department recommendations. If you need assistance, please call us at 402-502-2979 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We hope you, your families, and your loved ones remain safe and in good health during this challenging time. Now more than ever, we are so grateful for the passion and dedication of our volunteers and supporters. Thank you for your continued support of our mission and for all you are doing to help lead the fight for a world without breast cancer.
With gratitude and hope,
Susan G. Komen Great Plains
March 17, 2020
Susan G. Komen Great Plains takes the health and safety of survivors/thrivers, supporters, volunteers, and staff very seriously. We are closely monitoring the news of COVID-19 (coronavirus) and utilizing the latest available guidance from local and national agencies.
In the best interest of our community and those we serve, we have decided to make changes to several upcoming spring events.
- Pink Ribbon Affair (April, Omaha) will be postponed and we are evaluating options for this event.
- The Power of Research (May, Rapid City) event will be cancelled.
- Metastatic Breast Cancer Symposium (May, Omaha) will be postponed to a later date.
Regardless of whether or not we are able to gather in person, the need for our mission continues. Komen Great Plains works tirelessly to improve access to screenings, provide financial assistance to patients, and drive research breakthroughs to help end breast cancer. The support you give us continues to touch our neighbors, friends, and families – in a life-changing way.
As we continue to monitor our rapidly changing environment, we will make the best choices we can for our services and programs. To learn of any changes, please look to our website and social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter) for updates.
Thank you again for your support and understanding during this time. Take care of yourselves and one another. We will get through this together!