PRESS RELEASE: Susan G. Komen® Nebraska Awards $486,991 in Grants to Educate and Help Save Lives Statewide
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Mission Advancement Officer
(402) 502-2979, ext. 204
OMAHA, Neb., April 8, 2014 – As part of its mission to save lives and end breast cancer forever, Susan G. Komen® Nebraska has awarded community grants totaling $486,991 to nine organizations stretching across the state. Organizations receiving grants will provide breast health education, breast cancer screening and treatment services starting now through March 2015.
The 2014-2015 Komen® Nebraska community grantees are:
- Board of Regents of the University of Nebraska Medical Center – $39,759
- Community Access to Coordinated Healthcare,Inc. (CATCH, Inc)- $59,000
- Central Nebraska Community Services – $47,418
- Chadron Community Hospital and Health Services – $30,500
- Columbus Community Hospital – $15,000
- Legal Aid of Nebraska- $85,000
- OneWorld Community Health Centers, Inc. – $20,805
- Saint Francis Medical Center – $20,000
- Visiting Nurse Association – $169,509
“These grants help underserved women in Nebraska — many of those underinsured, uninsured or in rural areas — gain access to support. These programs also help women and men overcome the cultural, social, educational and financial barriers to education and screening,” –Karen Daneu, executive director, Komen Nebraska.
Current grants are projected to impact 5,000 women and provide nearly 700 breast cancer screenings. From 2008 to 2013, Komen Nebraska provided $3.3 million in grants statewide touching more than 78,000 people and providing more than 36,000 screenings — clinical breast exams, mammograms and genetic tests.